Friday, January 23, 2009

Roots

Trees seem to grow in such an unbalanced fashion sometimes, how do they even stand up? I saw a tree hanging at a crazy angle and I didn't want to walk under it. But when was the last time one of these things just fell over on a clam and drizzly day? It just doesn't happen, they are sturdy things. I always like looking at trees, but it was really weird to think of what it must look like underground. Crazy snarling roots, twisting around and around the dirt, hanging on for dear life.
When I lay out on the ground and watch the stars go by, its fun to try see myself from their perspective. A little tinny person on a little tinny planet, spinning around and around at about a thousand miles an hour. It makes me want to hang on to earth for dear life, like the trees. It would be nice to have roots to twist and curl in the dirt...
Sometimes I feel like I am just waiting for a day when the earth will just stop dead, and we all go shooting away like a few billion cannonballs shot at a hostile universe. That wouldn't be so bad. To just be whisked into space, catapulted out to be with the stars. To watch the little blue green earth fall away from under my feet. We wouldn't even feel it, the ground would just fade away under us. The rushing wind would be our only clue, but not for long... I only hope if that day comes I'm holding someone's hand. It gets lonely out in space.

No comments: